Friday, February 11, 2011

Details matter

Chris McCormack talked to Slowtwitch .. here's an excerpt on the importance of focusing on the details

ST: You and Andreas Raelert were dueling for the win later in the game than any men had done at Ironman Hawaii. In 2010 you had the fastest transitions in the field. Was your edge of victory even closer in the details than the final times would suggest?

Chris: After my 4th place finish in 2009, I realized that everything mattered and I took care of the details. I wanted to make sure the times of all my 2010 Ironman Hawaii transitions were improved. Last year I had a bad swim and had to work hard to pull 25 seconds back. So this year I sticky-taped straps to my helmet and shoes and my run bag. I had my socks stretched out and sticky taped ‘em to the shoes. Everything was well thought out.


ST: What other details did you address for 2010?

Chris: I really thought about everything. I cleaned up all the details. I put almost all my nutrition on the bike. My special needs bag -- you miss it half the time. It has come to the point these are the things that matter. I did this race [from 2002 onward] when those things didn’t matter and you could sit and change in the transition area for 3 minutes and put your run pants on. Those days are over. It’s going to get quicker in every phase and you have to make sure that you are as quick as it can be in every way.

ST: Did you really think it would be that close?

Chris: I didn’t know if it was going to be that close. But Ironman Hawaii is a total energy equation. You know who posts the fastest times, but if you waste time in transition, the clock does not stop. If you are not late getting out of T1 and T2, you save time and energy – which is a positive for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment