Friday, January 21, 2011

Shifting gears

From Craig Alexander:

"Age-group athletes often ask me how I find the motivation to train hour upon hour, day after day, year in and year out. The honest answer is that I sometimes struggle with motivation, just like everyone else. Especially after a long break, it can be really tough to get the momentum going again. 

"Like most people, I gain a few extra pounds and a greater appreciation for sleeping in during my down time from intense training. It takes a few solid weeks – sometimes even a month or more – of pushing myself out the door before something shifts inside me, like a switch being flipped, and I’m back at it again with my usual fervor. 

"It can be hard to get through those first few weeks, but once I do, I always feel the same elation return and I know that my passion for triathlon is as strong as ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment